It’s the time of the year that my annual ambient mix (The ‘Jaykits’ Series) gets put together. I’ve no idea why I do this in August/September when the end of year would make more sense. Maybe next year I’ll rectify this.
As always, I’ve loved putting this together. A majority of this was formed of the lockdown walks, often in the evening sun. The field recordings were either recorded in my garden or out in the woodlands of Perth (as was the cover photo). The early days of lockdown meant the bird song was just that bit more prominent and easy to capture. Reverb has been added to the field recordings and used throughout the mix.
In terms of the music, selecting the tunes was easy. The first track chosen was the The Slow Descent Has Begun by A Winged Victory for the Sullen from The Undivided Five. The album came out at the start of November 2019 by which time Jaykits Vol. 14 was done. After that the tunes on the mix are presented in some sort of chronological order. Motionfield, Jonas Munk and Federico Mosconi were early year favourites. The rest has been released since the world changed. That is except for the Virginia Astley track. The title track From Gardens Where We Feel Secure is included. I will forever associate that time with her album. A classic from the early 80s that I was lucky enough to discover this year. The mix finishes with Bella Ciao (Version Lenta) from Money Heist. We discovered that show during lockdown. It will long live in the memory.
I very much hope you enjoy.
Jaykits Vol. 15 – 1hr 11mins
Intro – Blackbird field recordings May/June 2020
- Coasts – Loscil
2. Always There Part 9 – Motionfield
3. Eastern Horizons – Jonas Munk
4. Il Tempo Della Nostra Estate – Federico Mosconi
5. From Gardens Where We Feel Secure – Virginia Astley
6. All Human Beings Part 3 – Max Richter
7. Blacklight Trail – Tineidae
8. Fleeting Premonition – ASC & Sam KDC
9. Abyss Forms (i) – Eluvium
10. The Slow Descent Has Begun – A Winged Victory for the Sullen
11. Visit Me – Mogwai
12. Mad Rush – Bruce Brubaker & Max Cooper c/w Blackbird field recordings
13. For Now I Am Winter (Nils Frahm Rework) – Ólafur Arnalds
14. No Sleep No Dream’- Gia Margaret
15. Bella Ciao (Versión Lenta de la Música Original de la Serie la Casa de Papel / Money Heist) – Manu Pila